How to Converting an Enterprise to Sdn. Bhd
Introduction of Converting an enterprise to Sdn. Bhd.
Converting an enterprise to a Sendirian Berhad (Sdn. Bhd.) company in Malaysia can be a strategic move for business growth and expansion. As a Sdn. Bhd. company, the business will be regarded as a separate legal entity, which means that the owner's personal assets will not be at risk in case of business liabilities. The process of conversion involves several steps and requires compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
However, it can offer numerous benefits, including access to more funding opportunities, protection of personal assets, and enhanced business credibility. In this article, we will explore the process of converting an enterprise to a Sdn. Bhd. company in Malaysia, the benefits, and the legal requirements involved.
Register a Sdn. Bhd - The following are some conditions for registering a Sdn Bhd:
- A RM 1 minimum paid-up capital requirement.
-At least one director who is a Malaysian citizen and at least 18 years old.
-None of the directors may be bankrupt or have received a conviction in Malaysia during the last five years.
-Appoint a company secretary within 30 days of a successful incorporation.
Requirements of Register Sdn. Bhd.
1. The following are some conditions for registering a Sdn Bhd (private limited company):
- A RM 1 minimum paid-up capital requirement.
- At least one director who is a Malaysian citizen and at least 18 years old.
- None of the directors may be bankrupt or have received a conviction in Malaysia during the last five years.
- Appoint a company secretary within 30 days of a successful incorporation.
2. Transfer your assets and other documents from the Enterprise to the Sdn Bhd.
3. A legal advisor or lawyer could be needed for this.
4. In order to avoid being counted twice when calculating taxes, you need to shut down the business.
Sole Proprietorship (Enterprise) is one of the most popular and easiest way to start your business. You can register your business as sole proprietorship under Registration of Business Act 1956 via SSM website https://ezbiz.ssm.com.my/ and the registration cost for an enterprise are very affordable at only:
New company registration/Business renewal
- Personal Name = RM30.00 per year
- Trade Name = RM60.00 per year
The advantages of sole proprietor (enterprise) are:
- Very affordable to start your business income
- Lesser corporate compliance requirements (such as filing of audited accounts, annual return and etc)
- Easy to maintain
1. When should I consider to convert from a Sole Proprietorship (Enterprise) to a Private Company (Sdn Bhd)?
Usually when you feel your business are getting stable and aim to expand further, you may start considering what the benefits of Sdn. Bhd. and if you should convert your business enterprise to a Sdn. Bhd. (private limited company)
|Sole Proprietorship (Enterprise)
Private Limited Company (Sdn. Bhd.)
|1. Separate legal entity
|No, the owner and the business are considered as one entity
|Yes, separate legal entity
|1- 50 shareholders
|Stated in Companies Act to segregate role of shareholder and director
|4. Income tax
|Taxed under personal tax filing with graduated scale of rates at a maximum of 30%
|Corporate tax rate for SMEs (17% for the first RM600K chargeable income) and subsequently at 24%
|5. Compliance requirements
|Filing of annual return, financial statements and updates with SSM
|A variety of choices- bank loan, government funding, Equity crowd funding (ECF), Peer to peer financing (P2P) and etc
Once you understand the difference between sole proprietor (enterprise) and private company (Sdn Bhd) better, you may still trying to decide when it is a good time to convert. Here we try anaylze for you to compare cost to register and maintain a Sdn. Bhd. vs the potential tax savings
|Sole Proprietorship (Enterprise)
Private Limited Company
|Annual cost to maintain
|RM1,000 (SSM and tax fee)
|From RM5,000 and above (depending on sale turnover/expenditure)
(Co sec, audit and tax fee)
|Annual net profits (assumed same as taxable income)
|Estimated income tax
|Total cost (annual cost + income tax)
|RM19,450 (RM109,450 - RM90,000)
|Understand the relevant compliance requirements of a Sdn. Bhd.
|Set aside a budget to pay cost to maintain a Sdn. Bhd.
|Proper set of accounts and records are kept
For more detailed guidance on how to start your sdn.bhd. company:
2. How do i convert from a Sole Proprietor (Enterprise) to a Private Company (Sdn Bhd)
Technically a sole proprietor (enterprise) cannot “convert” directly into a private limited company (Sdn. Bhd.) because it is a different legal structure and set up.
The process of converting your business enterprise into a Sdn. Bhd. (private limited company) is more like a migration where you set up a Sdn. Bhd. company and migrate your business from your enterprise.
1. To register and incorporate a Sdn. Bhd. company
You can check your preferred company name if it is available at (Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia) SSM database. Usually SSM does not allow the exact same name as your enterprise business. You are advised to use a similar name.
Then you need to prepare the following information which are required for company incorporation:
◼️ Proposed company names with its meaning
◼️ Principal business activities of the proposed company
◼️ Business address and contacts
◼️ Number of shares Paid-up capital information
◼️ Photocopy of all directors and shareholders NRIC or Passport
◼️ Latest proof residential address of all directors such as utility bills (if different from NRIC)
◼️ Business occupation, email and contact number of all directors and shareholders
◼️ Percentage of shareholding of each shareholder
You may then hire a licensed company secretary to help with the incorporation with SSM which usually take 2-3 working days. If all are in order, you will be given the incorporation details (*incorporation date and company reg no*) and relevant documents:
◼️*Sec 14 Superform*
◼️*Sec 15 Notice of Registration*
◼️*Sec 17 Certificate of Incorporation*
2. To open company bank account, apply relevant licenses, and registration with various agencies (to prepare it ready for business)
After your Sdn. Bhd. (private limited company) is incorporated, you need to prepare it to be “ready for business”, such as:
- To open bank account
- To register with other agencies under your new Sdn. Bhd. – EPF, PERKESO, HRD Corp
- To apply business license under your new Sdn. Bhd.
- To update name card, signboard and etc
Once the new Sdn. Bhd. is ready for business, you can then set a cut-off to inform and work with your customers, suppliers, landlord and employee to the new Sdn. Bhd. company
- To novate or sign agreements
- To update job offer letters
- To ensure invoicing/billing after the cut-off date are addressed to the new Sdn. Bhd. (private limited company)
Based on the cut-off date, you will then need to finalize the assets/liabilities – inventory, plant and equipment to move to your new Sdn. Bhd. Please take note there may be some potential tax implications on controlled transfer. You are advised to seek professional advice to plan your business migration.
Finally, after the assets/liabilities have been transferred, you may then close the accounts by owner withdrawal. Then you may officially cease your business, close the bank account and de-register your enterprise with SSM.
Contact Our Company Secretarial Service Provider - https://altomate.io/my/CompanyIncorporation/
As a result, Altomate is delighted to be the top provider of professional corporate secretarial services in Malaysia for both private and public firms. Our business registration specialist will guarantee that the process of forming your company in Malaysia is as simple and straightforward as possible. In addition, our secretarial services will guarantee that your company complies with all legal and regulatory obligations.
1.What are the requirements for converting an enterprise to an Sdn. Bhd. (private limited company) company?
- A business must have at least one director and one shareholder to be formed in Malaysia, and the director and shareholder might be the same person. To be a director of a firm, you must meet the following requirements: 18 years old and above. Residing in Malaysia
2. How long does the conversion process take?
-Get your company registered quickly and remotely. It is no longer necessary to be present in Malaysia to start a business. We manage your manual paperwork and ensure that all regulatory requirements are completed, guaranteeing that everything is in order for your business in 3 working days.
3.How much does it cost to convert an enterprise to an Sdn. Bhd. company?
With Altomate you can register your Sdn. Bhd at RM 699 (normal price RM999) including SSM Fee RM1010 you can save more with us.
Register here https://altomate.io/my/landingpage/convert-to-sdn-bhd/
GETTING DOWN TO BUSINESS
We hope that our article on the various key features of Xero cloud based accounting software has persuaded you to change from the traditional application of accounting software and invest in a powerful cloud based accounting software. Feel free to get in touch with our team of expert in cloud accounting solutions. Reach in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org